Friday, January 30, 2009

Blanketed in frustration

As part of a service project started by one of my favorite gals, Julie, we made blankets to go on top of incubators in the NICU to create a dark, calm atmosphere for those babies that should still be inside their mothers' wombs. Julie thought of this idea while searching for a gift to give the nurses who had taken care of her baby, Bronco, while he spent a couple of months in the NICU. Brilliant gift, right? Julie is now on a sort of blanket crusade, so if you would like to donate, comment, call or e-mail me and we can figure out how you could help or maybe even start your own blanket crusade for the NICU in your area.

Above are some of the blankets I made. Can you believe that JoAnn carries this fabulous flannel? I cannot get over these prints and I got them all for 50 percent off! Mi madre gave me a sewing machine for graduation (she's the best) a few years back and I am loving the little stiches that it creates.
I found this to be so rewarding that I decided to make my neighbor a blanket for her little darling Anna. This, however, has been far from rewarding. The two different fabrics that I chose were very difficult to line up. I spent at least an hour just trying to fuse these two rectangles together. The outcome: yeah, not exactly rectangular.
Then I got daring and decided to stitch the name Anna all around the blanket, with hearts in between. I programmed it into my machine then, armed with tomato red thread, I stepped on it. And then something flew up and hit me in the forehead. After a confused minute, I realized it was the tip of my needle. I noticed that the needle had hit the presser foot and broken. I cursed, turned the machine off, put my last needle (yeah, I break them all of the time) in the machine, turned it back on, reprogrammed the sequence back in and started again. After only three stitches, the needle broke again!
So there is no cute stitch and I can't finish my blanket. I don't even know what I did wrong.

10 comments:

Artsy Aut said...

I havent started my little blankets yet, but I also got the cutest flannel at Joann! But dont feel bad, nothing and I mean nothing can get me more anrgy as fast as my sewing machine. We have a love/hate relationship. I think your blankets look great!

Chellie said...

Great blankets! What a wonderful thing you are doing. I enjoy making blankets.
Too bad about your needles breaking. That shouldn't be happening though... I wonder what is wrong??

Unknown said...

Maybe you need to use a different presser foot? Like I know...

JJ said...

Your blankets are adorable! And, where did you get the sweet floral that you are using for Anna's blanket? I think it is probably the minky fabric...kids adore it but it is painful to use!

Julie said...

Love the fabrics and thanks for the shout out! PS nothing brings out the foul language like a woman and her sewing machine!

Anonymous said...

You should probably take your machine into a dealer. The needle clamp must be loose if the needle is hitting the presser foot... They can make some adjustments to get it back to the right place.

Also, I like using 80/12 sharps/microtex needles (instead of the universals that come with the machine) for woven fabrics. Sharps handle minkee and flannel BEAUTIFULLY! You'll have perfect stitches.

Welcome to Lulu's life. said...

As Julie's sister and fellow blanket crusader... agree that nothing will bring out a foul mouth more rapidly than multiple needles breaking. I've gone through my fair share forgetting to switch out for the different fabric weights.

Anonymous said...

Meg, G street fabrics are Bernina dealers! Yea! The blankets are great! Love, your Mum!

Aunt Spicy said...

M-Go look at my blog ;)

Laura & Tyson said...

At least you are brave enough to conquer the sewing machine. I haven't gotten to that point in our relationship yet. It's still sitting in my hall closet pouting.